This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Matched word and design recall tasks were constructed and used to assess the performance of chronic schizophrenics on neuroleptics alone and on both neuroleptic and anticholinergic drugs. The two groups of patients performed at an equally low level on both tasks, without evidence for a differential deficit. The tasks did, however, evoke a differential deficit in clustering performance for designs as opposed to words. Although clustering, which is based on recall, is not necessarily as well matched for words and designs as recall itself, this result suggests a lateralized dysfunction in brain structures related to use of mnemonic organization at retrieval.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. APA, Washington, DG1980 3rd ed.
- Quick Test.Psychological Tests Specialists, Missoula, MT1962
- Hemispheric asymmetries and schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 1982; 139: 427-430
- Regional cerebral blood flow in schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1983; 40: 258-263
- Category norms and verbal items in 56 categories: A replication and extension of the Connecticut category norms.J Exp Psychol Monogr. 1969; 80 (whole of Part 2).: 3
- Revised Visual Retention Test: Clinical and Experimental Applications.4th ed. Psychological Corporation, New York1974
- Dementia Praecox and the Group of Schizophrenias.International University Press, New York1919
- Amnesic disorders.in: Heilman KM Valenstein EV Clinical Neuropsychology. Oxford University Press, New York1985: 403-452
- Anticholinergic drugs and memory.Br J Psychiatry. 1983; 143: 422-423
- Recall and recognition in mildly disturbed schizophrenics: The use of matched tasks.Psychol Med. 1984; 14: 425-429
- Recall and recognition in chronic nondemented schizophrenics: Use of matched tasks.J Abnorm Psychol. 1984; 93: 172-177
- Verbal memory tasks showing no deficit in schizophrenia—Fact or artefact?.Br J Psychiatry. 1982; 141: 528-530
- Recall and recognition in depressives: Use of matched tasks.Br J Clin Psychology. 1985; 24: 127-128
- Evidence for distinct verbal memory pathologies in severely and mildy disturbed schizophrenics.Schizophren Bull. 1983; 19: 247-264
- Remote and recent memory in chronic schizophrenics.1986 (submitted for publication).
- Dopamine and schizophrenia: An analysis of the theory.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 1984; 8: 137-155
- Disordered Thought in Schizophrenia.Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York1973
- The measurement of differential deficits.J Psychiatr Res. 1978; 14: 303-311
- Brain density patterns in schizophrenia and mania.J Affect Dis. 1984; 6: 307-315
- Wechsler Memory Scale performance of psycho-neurotics, organics and schizophrenic groups.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1950; 14: 371-375
- An analysis of the learning deficit following hycosine administration to man.Br J Psychopharmacol. 1973; 49: 322-327
- Effects of two phenothiazine drugs on concentrative attention span of chronic schizophrenics.J Clin Psychol. 1959; 15: 106-109
- Lateralized temporal lymbic dysfunction and psychopathology.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1976; 280: 777-795
- Neurophysiology studies of schizophrenia, mania, and depression.in: Gruzilier J Flor-Henry P Hemisphere Asymmetries of Function in Psychopathology. Elsevier/North-Holland, New York1979
- Objective measurement of psychiatric changes produced by chlorpromazine and reserpine in chronic schizophrenia.Psychiatr Res Rep. 1955; 1: 77-83
- Akinesia, tardive dysmentia, and frontal lobe disorder in schizophrenia.Schizophren Bull. 1985; 11: 255-263
- Language and thinking in psychosis.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1985; 42: 26-32
- Left hemisphere dysfunction and left hemisphere overactivation in schizophrenia.J Abnorm Psychol. 1978; 87: 226-238
- Cognitive concomitants of hemispheric dysfunction in schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1979; 36: 269-274
- Brain function in psychiatric disorders. III. Regional cerebral blood flow in unmedicated schizophrenics.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1985; 42: 329-334
- Effects of chlorpromazine on learning and related processes in emotionally disturbed children.J Consult Psychol. 1983; 27: 1-9
- Bilateral electrodermal habituation-dishabituation and resting EEG in remitted schizophrenics.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1982; 170: 91-101
- Hippocampal damage in schizophrenia.J Abnorm Psychol. 1974; 83: 91-96
- Remembering of verbal materials by schizophrenic young adults.in: Schwartz S Language and Cognition in Schizophrenia. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ1978: 55-59
- Memorization of “unrelated” word strings by young nonpsychotic schizophrenics.J Abnorm Psychol. 1974; 83: 14-22
- Perceptual memory for numerousness in “nonpsychotic schizophrenics.”.J Abnorm Psychol. 1974; 83: 215-226
- Performance of schizophrenic patients on tests sensitive to left or right frontal, temporal, or parietal function in neurological patients.J Nerv Mental Dis. 1983; 171: 435-443
- Dementia Praecox and Paraphrenia.Livingstone, Edinburgh1919
- Responses of paranoid and nonparanoid schizophrenics in a dichotic listening task.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1977; 164: 247-252
- Neuropsychological Assessment.Oxford University Press, New York1983
- Schizophrenia and cerebral asymmetry detected by computed tomography.Am J Psychiatry. 1982; 139: 753-757
- Effects of perphenazine (Trilafor) on modifications of crude consciousness.in: Dis Nerv Syst. 18. 1957: 2-8
- Schizophrenia.Wiley, New York1980
- Phenothiazine effects in chronic schizophrenia.J Clin Psychol. 1982; 18: 86-89
- A general measure of organization in free recall for variable unit size and internal sequential consistency.Behav Res Meth Instrument. 1971; 3: 241-246
- Anticholinergic drugs and memory: The effects of benzhexal on memory in a group of geriatric patients.Br J Psychiatry. 1982; 140: 470-472
- Abnormalities of cerebral lateralization in schizophrenia patients.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1978; 35: 982-985
- Inter-hemispheric transmission times in schizophrenics.Br J Clin Psychol. 1984; 23: 227-228
- Research Diagnostic Criteria (RDC)for a Selected Group of Functional Disorders.3rd ed. New York Psychiatric Institute, New York1977
- Serum levels of anticholinergic drugs and impaired recent memory in chronic schizophrenic patients.Am J Psychiatry. 1982; 139: 1460-1462
- The effect of thorazine on learning and retention in schizophrenic patients.J Abnorm Psychol. 1961; 63: 432-435
- Intra- and interhemispheric information processing in schizophrenia.Psychol Bull. 1982; 92: 701-725
- Cerebral laterality and psychiatry: a review of the literature.Am J Psychiatry. 1980; 137: 279-291
Received in revised form: September 8, 1986
Received: June 9, 1986The authors wish to thank Alexander Vidra for his help in testing subjects.
Supported in part by the Doll-Steinberg Schizophrenia Research Project.
© 1987 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc.