This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Serum sodium concentration increased significantly in eight hyponatremic schizophrenic subjects treated with demeclocycline. The incidence of severe hyponatremic episodes was significantly reduced. The authors argue that mild impairments in urinary dilution contribute to water intoxication in most chronic psychotics who develop this syndrome. Demeclocycline may help these patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Thiothixene-induced hyponatremia.Arch Intern Med. 1974; 134: 1103-1105
- The syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone.Am J Med. 1967; 42: 790-806
- Water intoxication caused by smoking in a compulsive water drinker.Clin Res. 1976; 24: 625A
- Normal diluting capacity in hyponatremic patients.Ann Intern Med. 1976; 84: 538-542
- Demeclocycline treatment of water retention in cirrhosis.Ann Intern Med. 1976; 85: 336-337
- Syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone with exacerbated psychosis.Ann Intern Med. 1973; 79: 551-554
- Superiority of demeclocycline over lithium in the treatment of chronic syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone.N Engl J Med. 1978; 298: 173-177
- Water intoxication, psychosis, and inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1977; 34: 1097-1099
- Water intoxication in psychotic patients.Am J Psychiatry. 1979; 136: 1227
- Hyponatremia in psychogenic polydipsia.Arch Intern Med. 1980; 140: 1639-1642
- Incidence and morbidity of self-induced water intoxication in state mental hospital patients.Am J Psychiatry. 1979; 136: 221-222
- Letter.Am J Psychiatry. 1983; 140: 815
- Demeclocyline in the prophylaxis of self-induced water intoxication.Am J Psychiatry. 1982; 139: 828-830
- Democlocycline in the treatment of the syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone.Thorax. 1979; 34: 324-327
- Is antidiuretic hormone elevated in psychosis? A pilot study.Biol Psychiatry. 1978; 13: 385-390
- Neurogenic disorders of osmoregulation.Am J Med. 1982; 72: 339-353
- Psychosis and water intoxication.J Clin Psychiatry. 1979; 40: 287-291
- Hyponatremia due to psychotropic drugs.J Clin Psychiatry. 1983; 44: 301-303
- Demeclocycline induced nephrogenic diabetes insipidus: In vivo and in vitro studies.Ann Intern Med. 1973; 79: 679-683
- A comparative physiologic and psychiatric study of polyuric and nonpolyuric schizophrenics.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1936; 83: 557-563
- Self-induced water intoxication in schizophrenic patients.Am J Psychiatry. 1980; 137: 1055-1060
- Water intoxication.Lancet. 1954; i: 587-594
- Vasopressin function in the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuresis.Annu Rev Med. 1980; 31: 315-327
Received in revised form: May 6, 1985
Received: February 23, 1985
© 1985 Published by Elsevier Inc.