This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The specific binding to platelet membranes (Bmax) of 3H-clonidine, and alpha-2 agonist, and 3H-yohimbine, an alpha-2 antagonist, was measured in nine drug-free male schizophrenic patients and repeated after 2 weeks of chlorpromazine (CPZ) treatment. Patients with a lower pretreatment Bmax for 3H-clonidine showed a significantly smaller change in Bmax after treatment, less improvement in their clinical state, as indicated by the change in the Global Assessment Scale (GAS), and a lower posttreatment GAS. Also, they had a significantly higher score for negative symptoms on the Affect Rating Scale both before and after treatment. These findings suggest that schizophrenic patients with relatively subsensitive platelet alpha-2-adrenergic receptors, as measured by 3H-clonidine binding, tend to have more negative symptoms and a diminished alpha receptor binding response and diminished clinical response to CPZ. There were no clinical correlations to 3H-yohimbine binding.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- On the importance of norepinephrine (NE) and receptors in schizophrenia.in: Collegium Internationale Neuropsychopharmacologicum, CINP Congress. I. 1982: 3 (Jerusalem, Israel (abstr 12))
- DSM-III. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. APA, Washington, DC1980 ed 3.
- Affective flattening and criteria for schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 1979; 136: 944-947
- Negative vs positive schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1982; 39: 789-794
- Plasma norepinephrine and dopamine ß-hydroxylase activity in schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1982; 39: 1145-1149
- Molecular pathology of schizophrenia: More than one disease process?.Br Med J. 1980; 2801: 1-9
- Monoamine mechanism in chronic schizophrenia: Post-mortem neurochemical findings.Br J Psychiatry. 1979; 134: 249-256
- Norepinephrine in chronic paranoid schizophrenia: Above normal levels in limbic forebrain.Science. 1978; 200: 456-458
- Alpha 2 adrenoreceptors on human platelets: Selective labeling by 3H clonidine and 3H yohimbine and competitive inhibition by antidepressant drugs.Eur J Pharmacol. 1981; 74: 329
- A Rating Scale for Depression.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1960; 23: 56-62
- Interactions of agonists with platelet alpha 2-adrenergic receptors.Endocrinology. 1982; 110: 926-932
- Brain catecholamine in schizophrenia—A good case for noradrenaline.Nature. 1982; 299: 484-485
- Alpha-adrenergic receptor functions in schizophrenics.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1983; 20: 269-270
- Schizophrenia: Elevated cerebrospinal fluid norepinephrine.Science. 1980; 207: 331-333
- Effect of clonidine on growth hormone release in psychiatric patients and controls.Psychiatry Res. 1980; 2: 25-36
- Neuroleptic drug interactions with norepinephrine alpha receptor binding sites in rat brain.Neuropharmacology. 1977; 16: 549-556
- Platelet alpha 2-adrenergic receptors before and after phenothiazine treatment.Psychiatry Res. 1984; 12: 69-77
- Prostaglandins, platelets and schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1980; 37: 1047-1057
- Research Diagnostic Criteria (RDC).ed 3. Biometrics Research, New York1977
- Regulation of human platelet adenylate cyclase by epinephrine, prostaglandin and guanine nucleotides.J Biol Chem. 1979; 254: 10781-10797
- Impaired presynaptic regulation of norepinephrine in schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1982; 39: 285-289
- Mini-review: Impaired noradrenergic transmission in schizophrenia.Life Sci. 1984; 34: 1403-1413
- Dopamine ß-hydroxylase activity and homovanillic acid in spinal fluid of schizophrenics with brain atrophy.Science. 1983; 220: 974-976
- Lateral cerebral ventricular enlargement in chronic schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1979; 36: 735-739
Received in revised form: November 24, 1984
Received: April 9, 1984
© 1985 Published by Elsevier Inc.